Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Wow, no one has commented recently, that makes me sad

What happened to my regulars? I'm looking for some comments people!
Anywho, nothing much has happened since my last blog, but I just finished my fourth site visit paper for Christian Worship and I decided to reward myself before starting doing even more research for my paper on Suger (he was the Abbot of St. Denis from 1122 - 1151) and if any of you know anything about him, aside from what I just wrote, please be so kind as to inform me in a 12 - 15 page essay in which you discuss his Mysticism of Light and his administration of the monastery. But, after that paper, I'm really pretty much home free, with just finals and a worship project to do, I'll be a graduated man.
Speaking of which, in my search for jobs, I am applying at three places, EBGames, Bookland, and the library. If any of these really stands out to you, it would be nice to hear from you. I am just getting a quick job like this for now, since I will have RD responsibilities in the upcoming year, and I would like to take some time and try to get published a little bit to get my writing started and have a base to begin from when Katie becomes my sugar-mama and I write while she works! Yeah, so we are only 6 and a half weeks from the wedding!! woohoo!
On a more serious note, its time to educate you in the world of Douglas Adams in order that you can see "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" next friday and join me in the joy of one of the best books (and series - its a trilogy of 5 books - of books) ever written. You see, the story is about Arthur Dent and everything that happens to him after Earth is suddenly destroyed to create a hyperspace bypass through the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy. Anyway, the humor of the book is fast and outrageous. It will have you rolling on the ground in laughter at some points. I keep thinking of good words to describe how great this book is, but there really isn't a word that would do justice. I'm dead serious in saying that if you haven't read this classic (the radio drama - which was first - recently celebrated its 25th anniversary), it is a must read for everyone, its got depth, humor, science fiction, action, humor, and a manically depressed robot named Marvin. Also, if you like detective novels with a twist, Douglas Adams also wrote two books starring the great Dirk Gently. Entitled "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul," these books will again enrapture you into the genius of Douglas Adams. If you get through these and want some non-fiction, he's got "Last Chance to See," in which Douglas tells of his travels to see some of the most endangered species in the world one last time. Aside from these, there are the three books that are hard as crap to find and so I haven't gotten to read them yet (and would make awesome wedding gifts - hint hint), these are "The Meaning of Liff," "The Deeper Meaning of Liff," and "Starship Titanic" (which really isn't so rare, but I just haven't had the opportunity to buy it yet - and it isn't really technically by Douglas Adams). And for completions sake, I must mention "The Salmon of Doubt," which was compiled after his death and contains all of his uncompleted writings and some essays and newspaper articles.
Wow, that went longer than expected. If you wind up loving Douglas Adams, soon I will have to tell you about Piers Anthony's Xanth series and Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, which both have the same sense of humor and great stories. But for now, I must go to bed for the first time in like 4 weeks before 230 in the morning!
Godspeed
"I demand that I may, or may not, be Broomfondel"
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - see I told you it was great!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

here's a comment for you. i can't wait to be your sugar-mamma.
123

Anonymous said...

only because you wanted a comment...a triology can not have 5 books. By definition a triology contains three and only three items.
- a blast from your blue lake past

Anonymous said...

well i was going to post a really cool comment...but there is no way I can top "123's" comment.

--your brother in the destruction of Las Plagas and consumption of Pratchett novels

Anonymous said...

My name says it all.