Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gaming Thursday - Rock Band

We bought Rock Band back in the beginning of January of this year, and while it technically may not be a new game, I find it new nearly every week, since Harmonix has been so wonderful about releasing so many new songs. Since I bought the game, I have probably spent another 50 bucks or so expanding my setlist and it truly gives the game some serious staying power.

For those not in the know, Rock Band 2 is coming out this September, and there is a huge upside for this. Not only will I be able to create a band that can do the World Tour mode online, but you will be able to take all of your downloaded content and (nearly) all of the songs from the first disc and play them on Rock Band 2! For a game that I have already invested over $200 in, I'm not ashamed to say that I'll be ready for more as it comes.

Aside from all these little things, there has also been a cultural upside to me playing this game. It's sad to hear, but yes, I never really knew The Who, Boston, or Sabbath before getting into this game, and it has really expanded my horizons. Quite depressing, I know, but there is something about playing along on a fake plastic guitar that really gets you into music that you previously ignored or just wrote off as dumb.

Sadly, I was too busy today to really work out a thesis for this post, so I know it is rambling, but I just wanted to give my love to the one game on 360 that I play practically every day since I bought it.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I never got into these type games until I played (and then bought) Guitar Hero III for my Wii. I've played Rock Band once when Meredith's brother's friend brought it over. I found it quite fun though at the time I couldn't see spending the money on it. That and I didn't have a game system that I could play it on. So maybe when it comes out for the Wii I'll get the hook up.

Rachel Peters said...

Definitely a fun game. I like the drums and singing the best. I'm not coordinated enough to play the guitar.