Monday, July 28, 2008

Movie Monday: Step Brothers

Saturday night I was able to trick Katie and a couple of friends into seeing Step Brothers. I say "trick" because none of them claimed to know that it was rated R and were surprised by the fact that we were all carded going into the theater. To be honest, I wasn't really expecting that much over it either. Of the reviews I had read, yeah, it was supposed to be raunchy, but I haven't had my ticket stub checked going into a theater since Star Wars Episode 3.

To put it simply, Step Brothers is funny. Very funny. Of course, this completely depends on your sense of humor, and I'm pretty sure that if you've seen the previews you know whether you are interested or not. That said, unlike other movies, the best parts are nowhere near the previews. Sure, those parts are silly, but the best parts of the movie are when they are able to take an idea and completely let loose. There is also something to say about the writing, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are exactly like two 9/10-year-old boys, and that is what makes the movie so funny. They throw temper tantrums, have tree houses, practice karate in the garage, and are completely dumb.

Let's face facts here. As I've said before, you know whether or not you want to see this movie, and I'm almost positive that my little review here isn't going to change any minds, so if you've seen it, let me know what you thought. And if you haven't, let's hear why you aren't seeing it. Are you against it? Do you think it looks dumb? Can't afford another movie ticket and would rather see Tropic Thunder? All good reasons, but I just want to know (I know I would have rather seen X-Files, but I got shot down).

And that's that. See you on the morrow.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Haven't seen it yet, but do plan on seeing it. There a bunch of movies that are coming out (Pineapple Express) and those that have come out (Dark Knight, Step Brothers) that I want to see. My reason for not seeing movies: it's more difficult getting to the theater now that I have a child. Well, I can't wait for the next blog.