Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: The Boys

Garth Ennis writes some of the crudest and brutally violent comics I've read.

His series Preacher is one of my all time favorite stories (not just in comics) and although it is probably not something I would ever let my mom read, it is both hilarious and amazingly well written.

So, when I got the chance to check out the first three volumes of The Boys, I was incredibly excited. Once I got started (after I had to remind myself that it wasn't Preacher), I found myself loving Ennis' complete destruction of superheroes. Where Watchmen is an intellectual deconstruction of the superhero genre, The Boys is (while very intelligent) more of a violent hate letter to superheros and superteams.

Basically, The Boys are a group that were brought in by the government to keep superheroes in check. To make sure that they don't get out of line in their "protection" and that the number of innocent lives lost doesn't get out of hand.

It's crude and violent, and I highly recommend it. Although I would first recommend that you check out Ennis' Preacher. It's amazing.

No comments: