Wednesday, April 29, 2009

World News Wednesday: Graduation

With the end of school in sight, I thought this article was suitable for this week.

Since my high school graduation took place in a stadium in the rain and had to be cut short, I don't have the best experience with these things. What I do know is that having a public school graduation in a Christian church sanctuary is not exactly the best idea.

I don't know about the legality of this situation, but it seems to get in the way of that whole separation of church and state thing.

It's an interesting article to read through, but I don't think there is much else to say, aside from the fact that whoever came up with the idea to have this graduation in a church... isn't too smart.

Am I missing something? Should this be blown up bigger, or is it being blown out of proportion as is?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Lots of graduations are held in churches. I'm pretty sure Roger graduated in a church. I don't see what the problem is. A church only has meaning in that the people in it are worshiping God. Otherwise it's just another building.

Maybe the religious symbols create anxiety, but they're symbols of peace. It's not like they're graduating in a prison.

Eh, I think it's out of proportion. Separation of church and state is a good point, but I don't think that's really an issue here. It's not like they're saying you have to be a Christian to graduate.