Thursday, April 02, 2009

Gaming Thursday: Resident Evil 5

What could possibly make Resident Evil 4 (one of the highest rated games for the last generation) even more fun? How about if they threw in online co-op?

And that is how the genius that is Resident Evil 5 was born. I have to say that I haven't tried to play any of this game on my own with the AI to assist me, and I'm fine with that. So far, I've owned the game for just shy of two weeks and my brother and I are already about to finish our second play through (before we go ahead and start up our third time).

The ability to start the game over with all of your upgraded weapons and equip them with infinite ammo makes this game so much fun the second time through. The first time was awesome because of all of the unexpected scares and huge boss fights, and then the second time you get to breeze through all of those and just laugh at how hard it seemed. I love it.

The plot is just as indecipherable as any other Resident Evil and that's just fine. For me, while the plot is nice for keeping you moving from location to location, it is primarily skippable until you meet up with that one specific character. In Resident Evil 4 it was the midget royalty, Ramon Salazar... here it's the delightfully campy Ricardo Irving. Every time he comes on the screen, I just want to hear him talk. The delivery is perfect and he makes me giggle at everything he says.

Resident Evil 5 has been a blast. It is a good sign for a game when I'm sitting at work thinking about going home and playing again.

1 comment:

G said...

It's all fine and dandy until you guys keep calling out to each other in the game.