Wednesday, April 01, 2009

World News Wednesday: Maybe I should change the name

I only really chose World News Wednesday for that alliteration, but since I primarily stay within the realm of the United States, I'm thinking I might have to change. Especially after today, since I'm keeping it within my own state. Here you go.

I'll come out straight and say I'm completely against this measure. It's ridiculous for someone to have to take the written portion of the exam in English for the one reason that if someone already has to take the driving and sign parts of the test in English (and those are the things that you will be seeing on the road), why not allow them to take the main part in the language they understand best?

I know that when I took the written test the wording was confusing enough in English on some of the questions. So, why don't we want people getting licenses to drive? Do we like having unlicensed drivers out there? Does it add up to a significant amount of arrests (I know it does in my area)?

I just don't see the point. The other big thing against this is the incoming companies from out of the country that are coming to the state. In my area, we have a large Korean population as we are building a KIA manufacturing plant. I just don't like forcing newcomers through one more hoop just to feel welcome.

Opinions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous. These people are part of our work force, our neighborhoods and our churches. We are limiting their safety, their ability to secure a job that will feed their family and the safety of their children among other things! Don't we discriminate against immigrants enough as it is?

Rachel said...

Definitely agree with you. This is absurd, ignorant, and selfish.

BEAT said...

Nate,

Did you follow the English Only referendum in Nashville? It was voted down. I strongly disagree with GA's position, but it compares in no way to what Nashville was against. Conferences or business conversations had to be in English. It would have devastated the economy of TN. These sentiments are going to continue coming up. What a reality we live in.

BEAT