Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: Case Histories

I wrote last week about the difficulty of getting into books that seem to have a slow start and with Case Histories, there were a couple of points where I was close to giving up. However, everytime I saw the blurb on the front cover from Stephen King talking about how it was his favorite book of that year and one of the best mystery novels of that decade, it made me keep going.

Now, I can't say that it was my favorite book of that year (2004, I think), but I can say that it is one of the best mystery novels I've ever read (because I think I can count the mystery novels I've read on one hand).

Anyway the book is based around a Private Detective named Jackson Brodie and the number of cases that are being brought to him in this small amount of time. At first, it was confusing trying to keep the storylines together, but as everything started to pick up at the halfway point of the book, I found myself really enjoying it.

The only problem I had while reading was with one of the cases. It was brought up at the beginning and then was brought in kind of off to the side later on in the story and I just felt that I never really understood it enough to justify it as a main thrust of the story, like I felt that it was meant to be.

Aside from that, Brodie as a hero is great. I heard that there are more books in this series now starring him, but as much as I like him, I just think that the end of this book was a perfect closure for him and I don't think I could start the next book for a good while, because I don't want to disturb him.

Altogether, I think it's a book that I can recommend for those who don't even care about the mystery just because it is well written and kept me plenty interested so that I wanted to know how everything came together.

1 comment:

G said...

Being a fan of Stephen King, would you recommend this book?