Friday, April 03, 2009

Religion Friday: What is Heaven Like?

Rachel posted a bunch of good topics to discuss here on Religion Friday. We'll start off today with the question: What is Heaven Like?

Well, I wrote a paper on this at some point, but the only thing I really remember writing was that the actual number of references to Heaven (as a thing that is life after death) within the Bible are pretty minimal. The quote that I based my paper on was from Luke 23:43 where Jesus is on the cross and says to one of the criminals being crucified near him that "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

First, I have to say that aside from this scripture, I can't think of much else that relates to our current idea of Heaven as being this place that we go to after death. A lot of Jesus' talk about the coming kingdom of Heaven seem to be more about the bringing of the new law of grace that was given at Easter. Then again, I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this subject, so here are my thoughts:

Now, I think that we base a lot of our current thoughts of Heaven as a post-life place on this one passage (and if you can think of them and post them in the comments, it is more than welcome - although be sure to explain your reasoning). I'm sure there are more answers if you are willing to dig and look into metaphors and such, but I'm not.... that would warrant an entire research paper, what with looking stuff up and all that sort of effort.

Anyway, what I did in my paper, and what I'm about to do now is ponder what is exactly meant by that word "paradise" (or Heaven, for that matter). For myself, the word conjures up images of the pre-fall Garden of Eden, a place where we are able to see and hear God, whilst living in the beauty of God's creation.

I have placed my entire thought process on this word of paradise and the thought from Revelation of the creation of a new world (yeah they probably don't really relate at all, but it works for me).

So, how far off am I? What are your thoughts and theories on the idea of Heaven?

1 comment:

TopDunn said...

Lets see:
Krsipy Kreme is always hot.
Cats, no dogs.
Ice Cream makes you thin, Collards make you fat.
Everyone has an iphone.
Cars don;t have horns.
Milk does not sour.

Actually, in short - i think it will be a total absence of temptation. Which will eliminate all our perceived problems.