Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bookish Tuesday

Rather than talking about a book, I thought it would be a good idea to propose something to you faithful readers. Would anyone be interested in picking a book to read together and discuss (as much as possible through comments and my posts) each Tuesday? I think it would be a good thing to see what everyone who reads this actually thinks of different styles of books and such. If you like this idea, say so in the comments and put up a couple of options for books and we'll pick one out soon.

Aside from this, I've been lending a friend some Batman comics to show him what the new franchise is basing (loosely) some of their story ideas. For those who are interested, Batman Begins takes a lot of cues from Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (yes, the same guy who wrote 300 and Sin City). The Dark Knight takes a few, although not as much, from Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Loeb and Sale are a fantastic team and have written some really great stuff that goes back to origin tales and the early years of many of the most famous heroes (Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Daredevil). Sale's art is what really grabs me. Something about the way he draws people reminds me of a 50's style of comic and it always fits in perfectly with Loeb's stories. Both of them also do work for Heroes, but since that seemed to drop off quite a bit in the second season, we'll have to hope that they weren't really paying attention last year (although season 3 looks like it could be cool, so there is hope).

Sorry so short, but as you can tell by the posting time, it's been kind of a long day. See you tomorrow for some World News.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I would be interested in this book club of sorts. As far as books to read, I don't really have any recommendations but I do have many a book on my to-read list.

I've been rewatching Heroes Season 2 (just started last night with episode 1) and I think it was still a pretty good season. Yes, not as good as Season 1 but still not as bad as some people make it out to be. Have you been keeping up with the Heroes Graphic Novels on NBC.com?

Anonymous said...

there's this book called "Chasing Daylight" by Erwin McManus; let's read that.