Monday, August 04, 2008

Movie Monday: Mummy and More

For my group's weekly movie, we went and saw the new Mummy flick, and it's exactly what you think it would be: cheezy, predictable, and fun. I have to admit that I really like Brendan Fraser, so no matter what, I knew I'd have to at least like the movie. The plot isn't anything to write home about and neither are the effects really, but I wasn't expecting anything but a simple summer popcorn movie and I got exactly what I expected. Basically, it's worth your time if you want to see it, but if you have any doubts, just wait for DVD.

Wait, don't go away yet. I'm not done. I also watched the always fantastic Toy Story yesterday afternoon (just for kicks), and it is still a fantastic movie. Fun side note: Joss Whedon (of the amazing Firefly and Buffy fame) worked on the screen play. Also, the movie is actually even better than I remembered, and I knew it was great.

Last week, I watched Southland Tales... that's all I will say about that. I also got Katie to watch The Departed with me, and I was quite surprised that she liked it, even with all the violence.

And finally, I went with a couple of friends to see Hellboy 2 again (they missed the first time I went). As one told me during the movie: this would make a great TV series. The movie is a blast to watch, but I found myself agreeing. Rather than having to fit all their plots and development into 2 hour blocks, Hellboy would be a really fun show on the telly. Also, for those who have seen the wonderful Princess Mononoke (mentioned in this blog nearly 2 years ago), the big forest elemental is definitely a nod to the big forest god there. I must recommend Mononoke over Hellboy, but Hellboy was definitely a fun ride (much better than Mummy). Either way, I'd better wrap up here before I get into every little thing I watched last week. See you tomorrow for the lovely book talk (I don't know what it will be about yet, so it will be a surprise to me too).

P.S. I just have to say that I've been watching Spaced again, since I got it on DVD, and it's one of my favorite shows! Go watch!

No comments: