Saturday, August 16, 2008

Soapbox Saturday: Rachel


My friend Maria made a simple, yet well-said tweet today. And I started thinking, "Whose idea was it to include raisins in a cookie?"

Cookies contain sugar, flour, a little salt, and some optional items such as chocolate or butterscotch chips. I see no reason to bring fruit into the mix. I don't put raisins in my oatmeal, so I dang sure don't want them in my oatmeal cookies.

Cookies make me feel like a kid - young, careless, free. As a kid, I ate cookies without regard to how they will look on my hips or whether they'll cause diabetes. A great-tasting sugar high was in my sights and that's all that mattered.

Raisins are for old people. They're only one step removed from prunes if you ask me. People eat them to stay regular - what does that have to do with cookies? I denounce the odd juxtaposition of stinky, old, good-for-you raisins floating in my platter of chocolate, peanutbutter, or butterscotch. Who invited the old people anyway? Do you party with your granny? Then don't party with raisins.

Now you may be thinking, "But I like the taste of raisins." Good for you. Buy those cute little boxes with the sunshine lady on the front and have at it. But stay away from my cookies.

I must admit raisins aren't the end of the world. Even Maria shows that you can simply eat around them. But that's like ignoring a problem and hoping it will go away. Then again, I wouldn't waste a good cookie either, and I've been known to eat around a few raisins myself. It's like seeing a bad opening band at a concert. You have to put up with the raisins to get to the good stuff.


4 comments:

Christine said...

Some people CAN'T eat sugar and so they put fruit in their oatmeal to sweeten it.

I personally love raisins in my oatmeal. Oatmeal and raisins just go together and they make a perfect cookie. It's one of my very favorite cookies...so say what you want - I think they belong there.

And I'll just preempt your age joke. I'm not old enough to have grandkids and I'm not a grandmother.

Rachel Peters said...

Raisins in oatmeal. Now I've heard everything. :)

A friend of mine pointed out to me that he didn't mind raisins so much - as long as he knew they were raisins. There's nothing worse than expecting chocolate chips and getting raisins instead!

Nate said...

a response to grandma there: raisins are pretty nasty in just about anything outside of fruitcake and the little sunmaid boxes.

TopDunn said...

I'm 38 and my wife makes me eat prunes. There. I said it. When I have an oatmeal cookie. I think to myself, "Wow, what if there were prunes in here instead of raisins." And I become thankful for raisins. Works every time.