Monday, August 11, 2008

Movie Monday

So, after a number of failed attempts, I finally got to see Pineapple Express on Sunday evening. I was quite excited before I even saw the movie, and I'll say that it did live up to expectations, although not much more. The comedy was great, it was well written, and the action was actually really good. My only issue with the movie was how straightforward it was. There were a couple points in the movie that looked like something different was going to happen and I got really excited, only to have my hopes dashed when they took the same old route. Not that this detracted from the film in any way, it just knocked it down from being that much better. Also, the humor in the movie isn't as raunchy as the other movies in the "Apatow library," which was surprising, and made the movie easier for Katie to enjoy as well. Basically, the movie was really really good, and it makes me all the more excited for Tropic Thunder this week, which is allegedly funnier.

Aside from Pineapple Express, I've been re-watching the Harry Potter movies with Matt, and I must say that the first movie really isn't that good. It's not bad either, but when you get to Prisoner of Azkaban, you look back at the first two and see how bland and almost lifeless they were. A lot of it comes from the kids growing up and becoming better actors, but it also comes from the change in directors and themes. It happened in the books as well. As the series continues, the books become darker and the plots get deeper and more interesting (as do the movies). We've only watched through Prisoner, so I'll be sure to update more thoughts as we continue through.



1 comment:

Tim said...

Yeah I agree with the Potter comment. I haven't gone back and watched them all but Meredith and her brother did as I was doing other things and did happen to catch bits here and there.