Wednesday, August 27, 2008

World News Wednesday

Well, here is the big news tonight, as I'm sure you've all seen.

While it's not exactly surprising news, it is definitely pretty big news as most people are noting - if only because Senator Obama is the first African-American in a major party presidential nomination. I don't know what I really want to say about this. I know that part of me feels like it shouldn't be big news because by saying this, it kind of seems as though its a huge surprise and a massive leap forward in relieving racial tension. We all know that this isn't really the case and that Obama got the nod because he was good at his job. He's a good politician, and regardless of race (or even gender, had Hillary received the nod) I think the Democratic party picked who was right for them at this time in history.

I honestly don't know what else to say. I'm really glad he got the nomination because I genuinely like the guy (at least what I've read/seen, I don't actually know him), I guess we'll just have to see how things go down in November to see how everyone thinks of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think the guy (ashamed i dont know his name) they interviewed on MSNBC last night got it right.. he marched with Dr. King, and was beaten severely for his role in fighting for equal rights.. he made the point that this is such a special day because obama DIDNT run as a black candidate - he just happened to be black, and won.

for him it was much less about some major change having occurred in America this week, and much more about a validation that the work that he and countless others worked and faught so hard for had brought about the opportunity for Barack to become president..

sure, it could've happened a few years ago, but it didn't.. it happened last night, and it is the first time it has ever happened in America - and truly a reason to celebrate for those that feel related to the fight for racial equality.

i'm personally just so happy that i got to see this so early in my life, and I take pride as an American in seeing this happen and knowing the message it sends to the rest of the world.