Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bookish Tuesday: A Year at the Movies

I hate Kevin Murphy (of MST3K and Rifftrax fame). Well, really I don't hate him, I just hate that he had the idea for his book A Year at the Movies and got to do it before I could have the chance.

This is my second time reading the book, and both times it has made me want to do an experiment just like Kevin did. See, like the title says, he took an entire year and went to a theater every day to see a movie. He took trips around the world to visit different festivals and viewing situations and provides an interesting commentary throughout it all. He doesn't waste time reviewing the movies he sees and instead tells the stories of the theaters and his experiences surrounding the films.

We all know that going to the movies is much more than the flick itself. It all comes down to who you go with and your relationship with them to make the time worthwhile. Even the crappiest of movies can be a ton of fun if you are watching it with a group of like-minded friends. That's what makes MST3K and Rifftrax so good, because they do exactly what you do when you watch a movie that isn't particularly engaging.

Maybe one day I'll be able to get a grant to do an awesome experience like this. Maybe I'll finally be able to do the idea that I had to play through the top 50 video games in a row. I guess it will all have to wait till I get rich and famous... in other words, it'll never happen.

No comments: