Monday, November 24, 2008

Movie Monday: Expelled



I'll admit, before I even started this movie, I was prejudiced against it. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews and nothing really over the top positive. Maybe I just missed it, but let's just say I my hopes weren't high when I began.

Maybe it was these lowered expectations, or maybe it was the fact that I was playing WoW while I watched, but it actually turned out to be a pretty good documentary. Although, I'm a bit biased towards the religious side of the argument, I think that the film did a good job of presenting the faith-based idea of intelligent design. While the movie isn't focused as much on this as it is about the fact that scientists become discredited for just presenting the theory as an option. There are definitely some sob stories about the number of professors who were unfairly let go for their presentation of the theory, but as a whole they are presented well.

The problem is that the other side doesn't get treated as well. The scientists/professors who they bring in to talk about the evolutionary theory are largely anti-religion, and the movie plays that up. Richard Dawkins is brought in to defent evolution, and in the grand finale Ben Stein (the narrator/host) does everything he possibly can to make it seem like Dawkins is giving credence to the theory of God and intelligent design, something he would never do.

In all it was a good documentary, but definitely one that had its side chosen from the beginning, which isn't a bad thing, but definitely should be known up front.

No comments: