Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gaming Thursday: Demos

So, I've been playing a few demos on my 360 this week and all are very good, however I'm only going to buy one of them.

The first is the action/fighter Naruto: The Broken Bond. Based on the anime series (which I quite enjoy), its a simple title that is fun to use up a good 15 minutes playing. However, since I found nothing incredibly interesting about it, I don't think I'll wind up buying it unless it drops under $20. The one thing it really has going for it is the hand seals. I really like how you have to hold L and then move your sticks in specific directions in order to pull of different moves.

The second demo I went through was Mirror's Edge, which is a really cool first person parkour-type simulator. I found the controls to be really natural and it was a ton of fun to run around the city jumping from building to building. The main issue with the game is that the combat was a bit wonky. It's good because you are encouraged to run from enemies, but in the parts where you are forced to encounter a baddie, I always found myself just getting hit until I got the chance for the disarm. There was no strategy, just a matter of hitting the button at the right second.

My final demo I have already preordered and will come in next week - Left 4 Dead. Quite possibly the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time (and it's just the demo), Left 4 Dead is a zombie survival simulator that is wonderfully intense. I'll be sure to give more information on it in a few weeks once I've had the chance to play more of the game. So far though, in just 3 days, I've played through the entire demo about 15 times and every time has been a ball. In all honesty, even after just the demo, this is on the short list for my top games of the year.... although part of that could just be blamed on my complete love for zombies.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

wow, you could have told me ryan could have written this and i would have believed it. He feels the exact same way about mirror's edge and left for dead. I'm glad i started playing wow because at least i get to sit next to him while he kills zombies instead of being totally ignored :)

Ryan said...

Any chance you'll be picking up L4D on steam? I wouldn't mind rocking the zombie apocalypse with you sometime!

Lisa just doesn't understand... they're zombies... they must be defeated...