Monday, October 13, 2008

Movie/TV Monday: Spaced

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I absolutely love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, and when I heard that Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright had made a TV show back in 1999 I knew I had to watch it. After watching through all 14 episodes online, I found one of the best shows ever.

Spaced is the story of two typical twenty-somethings -Tim and Daisy (played by Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson - now Hynes) who meet in a coffee shop and decide to move in together because the only good flat available is for professional couples only. Typical to a sitcom, each week's plot revolves around a silly idea or plan that has unexpected consequences, but what really puts Spaced up in the top of TV shows are the characters. Tim and Daisy along with their friends Brian, Twist, Marsha, and Mike are all hilariously written and yet I know someone exactly like each of them.

Just like their later movies, Spaced is filled with pop culture references (you can even watch each episode with little pop ups to tell you about them) that fit in wonderfully with my generation of viewers. The absolute best example of this is the beginning of Series 2, where Tim winds up getting fired because of his absolute hatred for Jar Jar Binks and the debacle of Episode 1. It culminates with him taking his treasures and burning them in a pyre a la Luke burning Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi. It's silly but quite wonderfully so.

The real gauge to see if you will like this show is to ask yourself: do I like The Office? If the answer is yes, ask yourself: do I like the British version of The Office? If that answer is yes, then watch that instead. Really I don't know of a show that I can compare it to, so let's just say that if you did enjoy Hot Fuzz or Shaun, Spaced is definitely worth checking out - it was a wonderful surprise for me.

1 comment:

JM said...

I'll have to watch that! I just saw Run, Fatboy, Run.... although it is not as good (in my opinion) as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead, it was pretty cute.