Friday, October 31, 2008

Religion Friday: Halloween Edition

Today is All Hallow's Eve. Supposedly, it's the best night to do all our demon summoning and cavorting with the devil (if you were to believe Jack Chick). However, this does seem like a good day to discuss the paranormal.

For those who might not know, I'm a big fan of the show Ghost Hunters, wherein the team on the show goes to various "haunted" locations and they try to find out what's behind it. A lot of the time, the guys are able to disprove the hauntings as just exposed wires, broken doors, or just loud pipes. However, there are those rare times that they catch a glimpse into something that seemingly just can't be explained. For us watching on the telly it could definitely be a trick of the camera or something set up beforehand, and most of the tension is built on the background music and sound effects, but I definitely think they are on to something.

Now, I don't think that all of these things are "ghosts" or even spiritual energies affecting things we see, but I do think that there are definitely things out there that we do not (and perhaps cannot) understand. First of all, I don't think there are such things as ghosts in the traditional sense. I highly doubt that people's spirits are bound to this realm by feelings or unfinished business.

As for spirits in themselves, I have to confess that I do indeed believe. Jesus had a good time sending spirits out of people (once even sending them into a group of piggies), so I think there is probably something to it. But do these so-called spirits interact with us in our physical realm by moving around chairs or appearing on thermal imaging cameras? I don't know. It seems that in the Gospel accounts that these spirits were more of a possession inclination and didn't really waste their time bothering people in their homes, but instead went right for the take-over of the body. While these possessions could definitely be happening today, we all know that it only takes a little kick to knock the Satan out of you.

So, is this spiritual realm active today? Do angels and demons use up their free time messing with us? Or are these things just paranormal in the dictionary sense (not explained by science)? I'm not sure, I think it is more than likely that these things are not spirits in the angel/demon sense, but are still related to a realm of physicality that we might not be able to see or understand yet. Maybe the places where these supposesd hauntings happen are places where the space between dimensions is thinner than normal, and you are just seeing a reflection of something else. Who really knows? Today is a fun day to think about it though.... well, at least until I have to go and do my seances and play with my Ouija board later (since I've read Harry Potter multiple times, that makes me a Satanist).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have fun worshipping the devil later. heathen.