Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bookish Tuesday: Slaughterhouse-Five


I finished my first ever Vonnegut book, after years of hearing others sing his praises, and I'll admit that it was a very good read. I will also admit, that it took me about half of the book to really understand what was going on and what it was actually about.

For those who haven't read Slaughterhouse-Five, think of "The Constant" episode of LOST, and you'll have the basic plotline. Billy Pilgrim is unstuck in time, and is goes through various parts of his life outside of chronological order. It's hard to follow at first, but once you get the hang of his different episodes in his life, it makes for an interesting story.

There probably isn't much that hasn't already been said about the book, since I learned yesterday that even my mom had to read it for a class at sometime in her schooling, so it's been analyzed since the Enlightenment by my count.

That said, it was an impressing start to my Vonnegut reading, since I have received two more of his books for Christmas and will be delving into them soon. First though, I have a special book that I'm finishing up in order to put next Monday and Tuesday's posts together in a very special way.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I had read that but it has probably been about three years now. But from what I remember I really liked it. Around that same time, I read Fahrenheit 451 which was also good.

Anonymous said...

It's been years since I read this, but I remember that I was confused for the first half of the book too. So you're in good company. :) You might like Catch 22 too.