Monday, December 15, 2008

Movie Monday: A Few Movies for One Week

In an attempt to make up for time lost during football season, I watched 3 movies this week. Well more two and a half, since the last one I didn't pay too much attention (which is sad because it was probably my favorite of all three).

First up came Dan in Real Life, which even though it had Steve Carrell starring, I honestly wasn't expecting much. Turns out I got even less than expected. There were a few funny lines, but Carrell is a fantastic comedic actor, and they used less than none of his strengths. The script was predictable after the 15 minute set up, and the resolution for the film left me displeased. They never truly resolved the main conflict of the movie and that deserves a punch in the face.

On Friday I went and saw The Day the Earth Stood Still, but not the new version with Neo. Instead we watched the original 1950's movie and even though it wasn't my favorite old movie, it was actually really good. My only problem with the movie came with humanity's stupidity. Why the Hell can country leaders not put aside a conflict when faced from an outer space aggressor?! It's irrational and stupid... oh wait, that's the point of the movie. At least it can be said that I'm interested in the remake, if only to see how bad they screw this up.

Finally, we watched most of the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster yesterday. I really liked the delivery of this documentary, taking a more light-hearted tone like that of Super-Size Me, all the while dealing with a potentially huge issue - steroids (pun intended). While I'm not a sports person by any stretch of the imagination, there was a large amount of information being thrown around about the issue and I definitely am ready to sit back down and finish the movie, if only to learn what happens when the narrator reveals to his parents that his brothers have been taking steroids (gasp).

So, while it may not have been much of a quality week, I can at least say that it was a quantity week and I finally got some movie watching in.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

humm that's really interesting, i went into seeing dan in real life with low expectations and it blew me away. i thought it was an honest realistic movie that i throughly enjoyed. i'm sorry you didn't like it. it wasn't really a comedy though, and anyone expecting that should be disappointed