Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Bookish Tuesday: Writing a Novel

So for years, I've been trying to write a book. Actually three separate ones, two fiction and one non.

Both are really good ideas (or so I think), but my problem comes in that although I know in my head where the plots are heading and the pieces that need to be hit on the way to the finale, but I just can't piece it together in an interesting way.

Plus, even though I find the story ideas good, I also know that I have nothing completely special to set them apart from the other books on the market (that aside from the fact that I wrote them).

So, who has suggestions on writing? I've been doing this updated blog for 6 months, so you've got a good sample of my writing style to draw upon. Aside from that, does anyone know a good book or two for helping with writing?

All suggestions are super welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best things you can do are to write as often as you can (you're doing a good job of that) and read as much as possible. Whenever you find an author that grabs your attention, try to figure out what exactly grabs you. You'll start to see patterns in what style you like, and that can help you develop your own style.

Write write write - even when you don't feel like it.

A technique that helps me at work is just to brainstorm a loose outline first. Then start filling in details with phrases that sound good. Eventually you can put all the phrases together to make a story. The hardest part is just getting started. It works with technical writing at least... ;)

Anonymous said...

One book I have heard recommended over and over again is "On Writing" by Stephen King. I think 200 posts is a huge accomplishment. Obviously writing about things that captivate you are the best places to begin. We look forward to a signed copy of your first novel