Monday, December 08, 2008

Movie Monday: The Pixar Story


Upon a recommendation from some friends, we stuck The Pixar Story into my Netflix Instant Queue to watch last week. What we watched turned out to be a pretty good documentary about some of the best moviemakers currently in the business.

While a lot of the more current stuff that the movie goes through is pretty well known, what with the contract issues with Disney and the focus on quality from the studio, the best part of the movie was the beginning. It showed how John Lasseter began his career with Disney by working at Disneyland and then moving into their animation studio. However, his interest in making The Brave Little Toaster a computer generated feature ultimately gets him fired and he is forced to find another way to get his ideas out. Tons of hard work and support from Steve Jobs and George Lucas wind up with Pixar Studios being formed and making a crap ton of money.

Yeah, it winds up being a typical documentary story about a guy who starts from nothing and rises to the top, but there are definitely some really cool things to see along the way. I found it mostly interesting seeing the rise of CGI in films, I knew that Pixar had something to do with ILM, but I never knew to what extent until seeing this movie.

It was also awesome to see the Pixar workspace, and it made me wish I could be creative and go work there. Seriously, the movie is worth watching just to see their office building during the latter parts of the movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it. I thought their office area was really cool too. I never knew Pixar was connected to Lucas or Jobs, so I was surprised to see that. And I never understood their relationship to Disney. I liked seeing the Disney office too.