Friday, December 19, 2008

Religion Friday

As part of my job, I have to read through Police Reports every day, and every so often I come across some funny stuff. Other times, I find things that are truly upsetting. A recent example of this (and the focus of today's post) was a report in which Officers were called to a church over a case of criminal trespassing. When they got to the church, they met with a member who told them that the pastor had told him to call the church if homeless people came by looking for help/shelter. Being a good parishioner, the member called the police who came and arrested the man for coming to the church for help.

Now because I was not there for any of this, I can't say how much of what was said was true, but I can say that when I first read the report I was pretty pissed off. I understand that there is hesitation and fear when someone needs help and you aren't exactly sure what to do, but to be a pastor (someone who is called to be a leader of the church) and to specifically tell someone not to help... I don't understand. I don't know the full story of the church or the pastor, so there may be circumstances that led to this decision, but I can't think of any that would have someone believe that God didn't want them to help.

I admit that I am nowhere near perfect or a source of knowledge for this subject. I (stupidly) don't seek opportunities to help and rarely do situations come knocking on my door, but I would like to think that if the opportunity presented itself, I would be a willing servant.

What is this fear that prevents us from helping? Why do I not go out every night seeking people who need shelter? Is it right to go with the standby answer of "you can't help everyone all the time"? What can be done?

All of those are questions that have been flying through my head, and I have yet to come up with a satisfying answer to any of them. Is something obvious just escaping my thoughts? Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Dane has always been unquestionably giving; I've never met anyone who answers people's needs as readily and unhesitatingly as he does. I, on the other hand, have always been the hesitant/reluctant one. The first few times he rolled down the car window to give a homeless guy money or to buy him food, I shamefully admit I freaked out. I don't know what it is that prevents us from doing what Jesus did - I think there are probably lots of reasons and excuses. One of my main ones is that I have a hard time extricating myself from other people's problems - I never feel like I do enough, and sometimes I don't know where to draw the line so I tend to avoid the situation altogether. It's a lame excuse, but there it is.

Your post reminded me of a book I read a few years ago that revolutionized the way I think about these kinds of things and I HIGHLY recommend it: The Gutter: Where Life is Meant to be Lived by, Craig Gross.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.

Christine said...

Nate, I read this post when you put it up on Friday and started to respond right away, but decided I needed to think about it a bit. I tend to respond to things quickly and sometimes can be trite in doing so.

While I have found myself more open to helping others, I still find myself very easily wanting to close myself off to the unknown. It's crazy, coming from someone like me who is in a family who has had to rely on the help of others for over 7 straight years now. I know what Jesus would do, I know what I'm suppose to do, but it's a struggle to do it.

I think it's that selfish, human nature that is in us. I'm not sure how some people learn so quickly to put that selfishness in its place - I have seen children give of themselves without a look backwards. I, for one, have struggled with this for a long time. I think it's because we are spoiled, used to having good things, and just generally inward focused. We walk with blinders on and seldom see beyond our own need.

I have been trying to look more outside of myself and hopefully I am more successful in that every day. I, like Jen, am married to someone who is always thinking of others and he has been a great example to me. I pray that as I do better at reaching out, I too am a great example to others (especially my children).

I haven't picked up that book that Jen mentioned either - I am interested in checking that one out.

Merry Christmas to you, Katie and your families this holiday. :)