Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: Twilight (and New Moon)


I went ahead in finishing up the second book yesterday and although I'd like to say that I did it just for this blog, I'll be honest and say that I'm sucked in. The problem is that I don't particularly like the books. I like reading it and I keep hoping it will go somewhere I'm not predicting, but I'm constantly disappointed.

The main thing I am constantly disappointed by is Bella. I don't like her. I don't think she's very sympathetic and I don't think she's a well-rounded character. Although I've just been informed she changes for the better in book 4, I think that it's stupid that I should have to read 3 books before the main character (and narrator) actually becomes interesting. It's not that she couldn't be a good character, but she just wastes so much time being either completely smitten or broody that I don't feel she is explored enough. I wish more time was spent exploring Carlisle (the dad of the vampire family), because his character actually seems interesting, and I definitely think there is a lot to explore there (although, I've got two books to go, so my wish might get answered).

I also don't think that the writing is particularly that good. Not that I'm a particularly good judge (as you can see), but a lot of the time the romance and relationships seem forced and unnatural. However I can't really knock it for this, because it is written as an attempt to get teen and tween girls to read more and I like that. Christine made a good comment on the post from yesterday:
I am not a huge critic of writing, but I know good writing when I read it (i.e. Tolkien, Jordan...). I don't know how many times "his glorious body" or "the smile never reached his eyes" hit the pages but it was too many.
It's not a matter of her conveying the story, or even the emotion of the characters, it's just that she seems to reuse the same descriptors over and over, and it kind of gets annoying.

And yet with all of these complaints and problems that I continually see and whine about while I read, I can't stop reading them. Part of it is because it's just a piece of mindless entertainment that I feel like I can just zone into without having to take my brain along, but part of it is because it is actually an interesting story and I keep hoping that something new and unpredictable will actually wind up happening.

As a complete aside, for those who have read the books (and even those who haven't), here is something I've been wondering: how does Edward (or Jasper, for that matter) make it through school the entire day, when girls are experiencing their time of month? When Edward is around Bella in particular, does he just leave for a week, and then come back? Yeah, I know it's a disturbing question, but just a thought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is something of an elephant in the room, the way she talks about the vampires instinctual reactions to blood smells, and the way Edward smells Bella all the time, yet it's as if menstruation doesn't exist. But I have to say, I have read Ann Rice and Anne Rice did not touch this subject, and Stephanie Meyer is no Ann Rice.

See ya later, Spider Monkey...