Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: Y: The Last Man

I know, I was planning to do Cat's Cradle this week, but I spent so much time finishing up Breaking Dawn, and I had the opportunity this weekend to also finish the Y: The Last Man comic series when I went to my brother's house.

I've been a big fan of the story throughout the time I've been reading the series, and I was excited to see how Brian K. Vaughn was able to wrap it all together. For those who might not have heard of this comic, it tells the story of Yorick, who is the only surviving male human after a plague somehow wipes out every male in the world aside from Yorick and his monkey, Ampersand. The story follows Yorick as he travels across the world in an attempt to catch back up with his girlfriend/fiancee, who was in Australia at the time the plague hit.

I was completely along for the ride until the final two collections. Not that they were bad, but I just didn't think that the end lived up to the story that led to it. For starters, the one main explanation of the plague seemed way too farfetched for the realistic tone that the book had been setting. It still makes sense and isn't nearly as bad as the explanation for the movie The Happening, but I kind of wish that they had left it unexplained. The other issues I had were minor and relate largely to spoilers, but suffice to say, while I was glad to have reached the end of the story's journey, I wish the ending had come about differently.

Another thing that really has nothing to do with the story, but more with comics in general is the amount of filler in this series. I have to say that I love comic series that have a clearcut beginning and ending with every issue in between holding a piece to the story (like Watchmen or Preacher) and when Y is focusing on the story, it is definitely one of the best written comics I've read recently. However, when they move away from the main story to tell something on the side, I get bored and antsy. I prefer to move the plot forward, side stories are awesome for off-shoot books, but I just don't like them getting in the way of me moving the story forward.

Oh, and since Brian K. Vaughn wrote this series, I have to mention... LOST season 5 starts tomorrow night! Woohoo!

No comments: