Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gaming Thursday: Prince of Persia


Prince of Persia is a beautiful game. The colors and art style are great to see, and everything moves smoothly from place to place. It's also a satisfying game, when you string together a good wall run to a pillar to swinging on a pole all the way to the next ledge, it feels good. It also feels good that you can't die at any point in the game. Yes, this makes it easier than pie, but I like only having to move back a few jumps after Elika saves me rather than retrying an entire level (although, I think I still like the Sand mechanic of the previous games slightly better).

So with all this, you ask, why did you not finish the game? I'll tell you... pure and simple annoyance. Throughout the game, as you are renewing the land, you are collecting light seeds to restore power and be able to move to more places and get deeper into the world. This all works fine in the beginning when you are able to grab plenty of light seeds while you are going along to keep opening up the powers, but when it came to the point where I was 100 light seeds short of opening the next place and had already been through my unlocked areas, I didn't feel like going back.

I have nothing against the game itself, I still really liked it, but I stubbornly refuse to have to waste time going back through all of my completed areas to seek out one little jump that I missed containing a light seed or two, before climbing back up the same ledge to jump another direction and grab another seed.

Add to that the fact that the entire game (particularly the battles) plays like a glorified quicktime event (press x button at y time), that I never got to feel like I was the one doing everything, it was so automatic. Plus, battles are a frustrating combination of hitting block at just the right second in order to get a three hit combo off before the bad guy has his block back up and you are forced to wait for another opportunity.

I can't say that I don't like the game, because I really do, but I feel that there is so much wasted potential. I wish it had the same art style, but had taken the mechanics from Sands of Time and just incorporated that into the game. That, plus taking out the annoying searching for light seeds.

No comments: