Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: The Hunger Games

After weeks of gorging on David Sedaris books, Katie was able to stall me from rereading Watchmen for the umpteenth time by going on about The Hunger Games. After she finished it over the weekend, I picked it up and have been reading through at a fairly steady pace.

I tend to like Young Adult novels like this because they don't try to act smart, they just go with the story and try to make it fun and interesting... even if the plot might not make the most sense. The Artemis Fowl series and the Bartimaeus trilogy in particular are a couple of my favorites.

As for The Hunger Games, I like that there isn't much time wasted in setting up the story. Instead of a 60 page build up for the plot (like how Jurassic Park takes 100 pages to get to the island), this book starts off fast and has yet to really slow down. Since I'm not finished (or even to the halfway point), I can't say too much for how the plot resolves itself, but I do know that it is supposedly part of a trilogy (like all books now) and that I'm interested enough to keep up with the series.

The book takes place in a post-apocalyptic North America where the twelve different districts of the current government are forced to offer up a boy and a girl into a competition to the death, just as a way for the government to show who really has power. Like I mentioned before, I'm not far enough to say too much about the plot, although I do know that Katie spoiled parts of it for me while reading it, but that's okay.

Anyway, I know that it wasn't a planned reading for this year, but I'm glad that Katie recommended it, and I'm ready to get back to reading tonight... well that and playing Peggle on my 360.

No comments: