Friday, March 20, 2009

Religion Friday: Talking about Me

A lot of the scholarship and school applications that I've been filling out lately require you to write an essay about yourself and your faith. Now considering how much I like to write about myself here on this blog, you might not believe it, but those essays are frustrating and hard.

For one thing, it is really hard to boil my life and faith down to a three to five page essay, even with just hitting the highlights. Also, it is hard to structure life itself into a cohesive paper format. As you may have noticed, my blogs tend to ramble and get off subject pretty easily - just like me.

When I try to write out all this stuff into an essay that I hope will bring me money to fund my schooling, I always feel that it falls apart.

So, what is the problem with trying to piece all of this together? Part of it lies in the idea that I want my life to sound exactly like they want for the scholarship, just so that I can win, but I think it is more than that.

I think what it comes down to is the inability to produce faith as a linear progression throughout life. Faith tends to move and jump, progress and regress, duck and weave, abbott and costello (okay, too far)... but I think you know where I'm going. Is it hard for you to put down your faith story into a cohesive narrative? Maybe it's just me.

Now as I go back to writing these papers, I'm wondering how I can justify my journey of faith as a nonlinear object and still make it understandable.

...I also think I'm being a bit obtuse, but that's just because I don't like to write essays.

No comments: