Wednesday, March 11, 2009

World News Wednesday: A Hard Story

N'Gai Croal (now formerly) of Newsweek's Level Up blog tweeted this article as an example of what will be missing as print journalism dies. Warning: the story is very emotional and may cause the reader to shed tears.

My only input into this article is why can't we have sensors installed into the back for car seats? I understand the liability argument in a sense, but does that not also apply to seat belts and airbags? If they find defects there, the product is recalled, why would this be different? Yes, it is a child's life at risk and that makes it infinitely harder to place your product into the hands of the masses if you think that something could go wrong, but I think the rewards would help outweigh these risks.

As for the story itself, I know how easy it can be to become distracted and forget something (I've left my lunch at home too many times to count) and on that it is hard to pass judgment on those who have made the mistake. The article does well at showing the struggle that the people have gone through after their situation, and while it might be biased towards them, I find it hard to find fault with the argument that their own pain is more punishment than someone could force them to go through in prison.

Am I wrong for siding with the article? Should these people face punishment from the law? Is there something I'm not taking into account here? What say you?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my worst fears in becoming a parent. I don't think parents should be prosecuted, but I think it should treated on a case by case basis to weed out those parents who really are negligent.

Anonymous said...

That was one of the saddest things I have ever read.

And I agree with the article too. I forget things all the time. And I think they're right, if you can forget a cell phone, you can forget a baby. People get distracted, but it doesn't make them bad parents.