Monday, March 23, 2009

Movie Monday: I Love You, Man


I like Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Both are funny in their own separate movies (I liked Role Models and Forgetting Sarah Marshall), but I really think they are a lot better together.

The plot of the movie is predictable and therefore forgettable and even though I honestly can't remember a scene that really stood out, I know that I laughed enough to make it worth my while. I don't know if that can justify this as a good movie, but it would definitely be worth a rental.

On this subject, what makes a movie worth seeing in theaters? Most of the time comedies work just as well, if not better, at home where there aren't idiots talking, texting, and laughing at the wrong parts. But every once in a while, I like to see a funny movie on the big screen because it also seems to make it funnier. Having the screen take up your entire vision and the audio all around helps to get into the experience and tends to make me enjoy it more.

Other movies, like big dumb action movies, almost require a theater screening just so that you can let the explosions bust your ear drums. Comedies though... I'm just not sure. I'll continue to go see a good comedy in theaters a few times a year, but I don't know if I'll really go too much out of my way.

See I watched I Love You, Man in theaters on Friday and then Robocop at home on Saturday, and thinking about it made me really wish it could have been the opposite. Am I right? I can think of a bunch of good comedies that I saw in theater, but I can also think of the same number that could have waited. What say you?

3 comments:

Katie B said...

I prefer seeing all movies at home. I get really negative about the state of humanity when I have to sit in the theatre with idiots.

Anonymous said...

I think comedies are more fun shared with friends, so I don't mind seeing them at the theater. Something about group laughter makes me enjoy a movie that otherwise might not be as funny. You know, laughing is contagious.

However, you can accomplish this with a movie party at your house instead of the theater. (Katie's point is well taken.)

Kassie said...

I enjoy home or an almost-empty theater. I like being able to talk during movies, not to mention pausing and getting a big bowl of ice cream... Seeing action movies in a theater is worth it though. LoTR and Bond (to name a few) were epic on the big screen.