Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gaming Thursday: Too Human

Now Silicon Knights previous title Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is not only one of my favorite games of the last generation, but it's up there in the top games of all time. With that in mind, I was heartbroken when the reviews started coming out for Too Human last year ranging from mediocre to bad. I had played a bit of the demo and found it pretty good, but I was hoping that the full game would live up to something more.

After waiting for a few price drops, I picked it up for $20, and thank God that I didn't pay any more. I remember hearing someone talking about the game on a podcast and mentioning that the only good way to play it was online co-op, because it was like talking on the phone, except your fingers had something to do and you had something to look at. I've played about 15 minutes of the single player experience, and I know exactly what he was talking about, its frustrating and annoying as hell to play by yourself, but after playing through the entire game now with my brother.... at least then I had someone to share in my misery.

It's not that anything in the game is "bad," it's just that nothing really comes together well. You are supposed to be excited about all the awesome loot that drops from the bad guys and keep upgrading yourself to show all your sweet armor and weapons, but after entering into the menu for probably the 50th time, we decided to only upgrade our stuff about once an hour. Combine that with the fact that the game is so repetitive (I swear there were only about 4 different types of bad guys) and that the controls become so wonky when you are trying to fight a group of baddies that I probably could have played the game with my eyes closed most of the way through.

And then there is death. There are no consequences for dying... aside from having to watch the same 2 minute animation every single time. I'd rather take an experience or gold deduction than have to sit through that stupid thing again. The problem with this is that I died so much. I created a bio-engineer, which was supposed to be the healing class in the game, but he has only one heal that can only be done about once every five minutes. It wound up being completely pointless. Dan was a berserker, which supposedly was a damage/tank class, but since there is no way to control aggro, they would as often attack him as run past and come to me.

On the plus side, my laser cannon kicks all kinds of ass.

No comments: