Monday, March 30, 2009

Movie Monday: My Name is Bruce


If you don't know Bruce Campbell, I'm sorry for you. If you do, then you (like all people) are in love with him.

It's okay to admit. No one will look down on you for loving BC. In fact, you will become highly regarded by everyone you know.

With this in mind, My Name is Bruce is a silly Bruce Campbell movie. It is directed by BC and it shows. From what I know, he's only directed one other feature (The Man with the Screaming Brain), but has also directed a number of Xena and Hercules episodes. The same sort of camp that follows Bruce everywhere is present in this movie, but because it is so self-aware (it's about a town calling Bruce for help... and not his character, but actually Bruce) I think it really sets itself apart.

Yeah the dialogue is cheezy and the plot is non-existent, but that's what I expected. All I wanted to see was Bruce Campbell making snide remarks and acting silly, and I got exactly what I wanted.

There is really no reason to rent/buy this unless you like Bruce Campbell and/or B-Movie awesomeness, but if you like either of those, it's pretty great.

On opposite ends of the spectrum, I watched Memento for the first time in about 5 years over the weekend. It's a phenomenal movie. So if you get anything out of this post, it should be to go watch Memento again... and then watch My Name is Bruce to wash it down.

No comments: