Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bookish Tuesday: Out of the Silent Planet

I mentioned previously that my book club was reading C.S. Lewis' science fiction book Out of the Silent Planet, and now that we've discussed it, I thought I'd bring it here.

As part of the discussion, Chris asked the question, "would this book be considered good if it was written by anyone else?"

It's not that it is a bad book or even that the theology and moral misses the mark, but the story that it revolves around is kind of boring. The plot takes too long to really start, and by the time Ransom reaches Mars, I was ready for the moral to be shoved at me and the book to be over. Sadly, I had to wait another 100 pages before it ended, but I did get my wish of the moral.

I don't want to chase anyone from reading the book, especially for those who really like C.S. Lewis, but I think that I'd prefer the Narnia series, if only because they are written for children and are an easier read. Silent Planet seems like it wanted to be a story for children, but wasted too much time acting like an adult book.

No comments: