Wednesday, February 11, 2009

World News Wednesday

By now we've all heard/read about Nadya Suleman, the mother of the octuplets and now fourteen total children, and I'm sure everyone has formed opinions. If you haven't read enough, the link goes to her Dateline interview with Ann Curry, and I like it mostly because it gives Suleman the chance to talk for herself, rather than just others doing it for/about her.

Because I'm not a woman and have no children, my opinion really means nothing in this situation. All I have to say is that if she can actually get a good job that works around her schedule and she can provide well for all 14 children, more power to her. On the other hand, children are incredibly time consuming and expensive. I just have a hard time seeing someone being able to work enough to pay for so many children and yet still being able to spend enough time with them.

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive and naive, but I like to think that kids really need a ton of attention and it's really hard to give it to them when you are busy with work type stuff. At least that's what I keep telling Katie. Again though, it is highly possible that Suleman has everything planned just right and everything will work out.

Thinking about all that makes me stressed, and for that we need Sam the cute koala. Australia is having a tough time of it right now. Sam is about the only happy picture I've seen out of the country all week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Because I'm not a woman and have no children, my opinion really means nothing in this situation."

Absolutely false! I think men should have more say. Fathers are often overlooked in these kinds of situations and it's a shame.

This woman isn't married though, so it's a moot point for this story.

Kent said...

Considering her own mother (Who was taking care of her other 6 children while she was in a hospital) says she is unfit to be a mother and is just having children because she is addicted to having children....

I would say she needs to stop.

Lisa said...

i'm inthe middle of data acquisition right now so i can't watch this(i haven't heard about it either, but htat's because i live ina small box i'm sure) but i'm going to say something that is maybe insensitive and i'll get bashed all to hell for this, but this day in age there are just too many children on this planet to justify big families like that, especially in this country. if you have that much love to share, adopt. that's my opinion and you won't change my mind about it. Now john and kate plus eight. i love them but i think that's because it was 8 children with two births, it wasn't like they set out to have that many kids.:)
poor sam (she?) makes me sad because that means lots of other animals died.