Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Monday: Dark City

Released a year earlier, Dark City is what I think The Matrix wishes it was. I'm not trying to be a Matrix hater, I absolutely loved the first movie and even liked the second and third ones but thinking about them now, I can't ever summon the will to watch them again.

But this is about Dark City, not The Matrix. Dark City is about a dark city that for some reason pauses everyone at midnight. Well, everyone but the main character. He's special for some unknown reason. The movie is kind of hard to follow for the first 30 minutes or so (at least for me - I was completely lost), but once the pieces of the puzzle start coming together I was really hooked. The ending is exactly what it should be, and the movie follows its own logical progression to bring you there.

I think that it is a movie best watched rather than talked about. It is an amazing movie and is even listed in Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" list. I think it might even be a movie that I go out and buy, which is saying quite a lot, since I haven't bought a movie since.... wow, I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I'm not trying to be a Matrix hater..." That cracked me up for some reason.