Wednesday, February 25, 2009

World News Wednesday: A Discussion

I normally try to fly my World News Wednesday posts past one person or another, and this week, I decided to show you a conversation between myself and Rachel for this weeks post. Feel free to join in the discussion in the comments section. Oh, and the opinions expressed in that conversation do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this blog or its authors (that's a joke).

me: gun control yes or no?:
Rachel: ok, this is why i don't talk about my thoughts on it a lot, b/c i hate the thought of hurting someone who's been through something like this
but since it's us...
it's not like it was an accident... that boy grabbed his gun and shot her... that's messed up, but i don't think gun laws would have prevented it... know what i mean?
me: in a sense yes, but if they had an age restriction, or laws about keeping guns locked away, maybe it would have been helped
Rachel: or if his parents weren't morons and kept the gun locked in a gun case...
me: thats my big thing
its the parents responsiblity
Rachel: yeah, i mean you know what pisses me off the most?
any freaking person can have a baby, but you need a license just to drive a car
BUT... i would never want the gov to regulate that mess... it's crazy
and that's how i feel about gun laws... i hate it, but the gov can't fix people who are already broken :(
me: /agree
me: i know that the gov cant really fix people, but guns in particular are such a big danger, that regulation of them should be tightly watched
Rachel: i disagree, b/c people are going to get guns if they want them
the tighter the gov control, the larger the black market and the more crime that arises from it... see "drugs"
but, stories like this one actually put holes in my argument though... this kid wasn't some criminal on the street... so it's definitely different
me: the black market argument is a good one, although im not talking about outlawing guns as a whole (like drugs are), but instead just making it more difficult for people (particularly the young) to get access
yes, there will always be a way to get something if you really want it, but those people are (theoretically) so messed up anyway, that they will do what they were going to do no matter what the laws
so, this is not a punishment type law, but more of a prevention/safety based law
imo
Rachel: yeah, that's a good point too
but is it the gov's job to protect us? i think about that a lot
me: in a sense, yes... isnt that what its there for?
i.e. military, police
Rachel: yeah, that stuff definitely... but there has to be a line
me: yeah
Rachel: it's not the gov's job to enforce morals or rule at such a granular level
me: explain, plz
Rachel: and gun laws are a moral issue... b/c it affects people who buy guns for their 11-year olds to take them hunting (yes, that's the wilmer in me talking)
that's a parent's call, not the gov's
but some parents suck!
me: but we regulate what age you can drive a car, and it's the same sort of thing, why can we not regulate the age of getting a gun?
i know that they'd like to take kids hunting, but take them bow hunting up until that age
because, a lot of kids don't understand the power of their weapon, and parents might not know how to explain it right
Rachel: you drive cars on gov-paid roads ;)
me: you hunt in gov. owned property;)
Rachel: not necessarily
some people hunt in their houses apparently... ok that was morbid, sorry
me: did the gov not technically buy the land (albeit immorally) from the native americans, and other countries?
Rachel: yeah, but you own it to a point...the gov doesn't maintain it like they maintain roads
me: yeah
Rachel: all kidding aside, the driving age requirement is up for grabs too... look at MS - you can drive at 15 there
i think you're right - it's the same kind of argument... the difference is volume... every american owns a car, but not everyone owns a gun
me: yeah, driving ages should be flexible based on a kid's maturity but its hard to measure that
Rachel: definitely
me: especially governmentally... and i think its the same issue between both types of laws
ok, so i think this whole argument just wrote tomorrow's WNW for me


So, what do you think? Do Rachel and I make any valid points, or are we just going in circles?


2 comments:

Katie B said...

I think that guns that are not intended for hunting are intended for hurting people- so I think that they shouldn't exist, like not just be illegal, but shouldn't be made. But then again, I'm a big peace loving hippie.

Julia said...

i think that this kind of issue- like many moral issues have no universally true answers to them, and to pretend that they do is insane. There are too many what ifs and what about this particular case.

More to the point is how do we live in conversation about them as a country that makes us all open to the ideas and concerns of those around us in such a way that we value each person's opinion and rights as much as we value our own.

and then based upon our outlook on others we can make a decision for our own behavior, but not make lines in the sand for others to follow.

Also i'm a peace loving Methodist Duke inspired hippie