Wednesday, February 18, 2009

World News Wednesday: Exotic Pets

Some friends have told me that they listened to the 911 call of this story, but I'm too scared to.

The point that is driven home by this sad story is: don't have exotic pets.

I (just like everyone else) have entertained dreams of having a tiger for a pet, but I also know that there is no way that a tiger belongs in my neighborhood, let alone my country (except for within those special situations like nice zoos). This is because the tiger would likely not know what it was doing and wind up hurting someone.

I'm not trying to say that anyone deserves this sort of incident to happen. I think it was a truly sad thing. I just wish people would understand that keeping pets like apes and big cats is really not a good idea. I know that this ape was a former actor and seemed to be humanized, but animals aren't predictable.

We have a hard enough time with house cats. I'd let them out of the house and back to the wild, but I'm worried about the number of deaths my vicious cats would cause.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I have to wonder what some people are thinking with the pets they choose. I could write an entire diatribe about my sister-in-law and her choice of pets, but I won't.

I bit the bullet and listened to the call - it wasn't nearly as shocking (to me, anyway) than reading the details of the story. Very sad.