Monday, September 08, 2008

Movie Monday

As I've complained about before, there aren't any movies in the theaters to go see right now. It's kind of sad. I know that the idea of the summer movie blockbuster is great, because you capture all the people on vacation and the kids out of school with nothing to do, but can't we spread the love out? Enough with the whining, let's talk about my favorite movie of last year.

In 2004, a little zombie movie came out that soon became one of my favorite movies of all time. I had to drive 2 hours to see it since it was in limited release, but holy crap was it worth it. Shaun of the Dead still stands as a fantastic movie, and when I heard that Hot Fuzz was coming out, I couldn't wait. When the movie released in March of 2007, I looked everywhere (online) for a theater near me that was showing it. Turns out the closest one was an hour away, so I turned it into a whole date night with my wife. It also turned out to be an arguably better movie than Shaun.

For those of you who have not yet seen this movie, I highly suggest you watch it. However, you really can't watch it only once. The movie requires multiple viewings. Sure, the first time is really funny (although it might seem tedious because of the build-up), but every subsequent viewing gets better. It's a movie with so many foreshadowings and in-jokes that you start laughing at the set up for a joke that comes over an hour later in the movie, just because you know what is coming.

The plot? Well, an amazing cop gets moved to a small town and starts unraveling a murder "conspiracy." Yeah, it doesn't sound like much, but the writing in this movie is what sells it. The throwaway quips are my favorite, and when you get to the final 45 minutes of the film, its utter perfection.

I even own 2 copies of the movie (because I bought the regular edition and later got the 3-disc special edition), so I will actually let you borrow it. Hot Fuzz is definitely a must-watch, and if you want to watch it, just let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.