Wednesday, September 03, 2008

World News Wednesday

Here is your wonderful news item for today.

So, I just spent some time checking out the site that the article is about, and I'll admit - it is a bit risque. The question remains... is it effective though? What, honestly, IS effective for sexual education? If you preach abstinence all the time, you risk the problems of teens/adults not knowing enough and should they actually have sex, they might not know how to do it safely or what signs to look for in the case of an STD. On the other hand, overpreparing them with so much information might make them feel as though they can have sex without repercussions because they think they know what they are doing.

All of this is purely hypothetical, I have no hard data to back up my thoughts, but what exactly should we teach kids in order to prepare them for the real world? I think that abstinence is probably a really good thing to teach teens (both in school and by parents), but it may not always work out in the real world of dating nowadays (to be honest, I wouldn't know, I didn't date until college). Therefore, I actually think a site like Take Care Down There could actually be a big plus if it's used correctly. So, since the interwebs is what kids are all about these days, the site (and similar ones) need to be set up virally and significantly so that people actually watch and pay attention to them. I actually don't know how that can be done since I rarely watch youtube videos all the way through, but there must be a marketing genius out there who can get it done.

Is this site a good strategy for sex education? Does it need to be revamped in schools? What else can be done? Let me know, because I realized how little I really know about sex ed nowadays.

1 comment:

Rachel Peters said...

I never took a sex ed class. I had a dad who I was sure would kill me if I ever got pregnant, and an insane level of shyness keeping my clothes on!

I don't know the answer to this problem, but after talking to Katie about purity talks I'm thinking that's a step in the right direction.

All kidding aside, my parents told me to practice abstinence. But they also told me not to be stupid. If I was going to have sex they wanted to know so they could get me on birth control. I always felt if you can't talk about sex, then you're not ready. Little did I know you're never ready to talk about sex with your parents!