Monday, September 22, 2008

Movie Monday

And yet another week has gone by without me watching a new movie, so again I resort to talking about another old one. I'm actually watching Hot Fuzz as I type this (again), but that has been discussed already so I won't waste your time there.

Anyway, instead of movies, I finished up the first season of The Wire, and it really is as good as everyone claims. The show does such a good job developing each character so that even the people you only see for a minute or two an episode have some meaning behind their actions. That, plus the fact that the show doesn't waste time giving you subplots that only last for an episode just to suck away an episode. Instead each move is a necessary piece of the greater plot for the season.

The show also has one of my all time favorite scenes. Basically, the entire scene is Jimmy McNulty and Bunk Moreland are looking back at an unsolved case and tracing a bullet's trajectory within a small kitchen in an apartment. The dialogue in this scene is a variation on one four letter word and it is truly pure brilliance. The great writing isn't just contained to this scene either, each episode is crafted perfectly to follow a piece of the puzzle that (even though you hope it comes out the way you want) comes together so right at the end of the season.

Having just started Season 2 tonight, I really don't know where the show is going (it ran for 5 seasons), but I do know that I'm completely hooked.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hmmm, I never watched this show Nate. I may have to check it out. I'm very into watching shows on my DVR or recorded - LOVE the absence of commercials and I can get through a few episodes per evening. I'll have to look this one up. It might be my next series...